Note: this event has past.
An estimated 35% of soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, as do countless American veterans from previous wars. Over 58,000 American service people died in the Viet Nam war, over 100,000 have since committed suicide. Sadly, such problems will continue as veterans return from Iraq and Afghanistan.
As many who have sought help can testify, standard therapeutic techniques frequently do not work.
Veterans Suffering from PTSD often:
- Have difficulty holding jobs or sustaining relationships
- Have recurrent nightmares or won't leave home
- Feel permanently alienated from the very culture they fought to protect.
Redefining PTSD as a soul wound, clinical psychotherapist Dr. Edward Tick offers hope by nurturing a positive, mature warrior identity for our veterans. He has been speaking nationally and internationally about the psycho/spiritual needs of veterans since the release of his acclaimed book, War and the Soul: Healing Our Nation's Veterans from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (Quest Books, 2005)
This intensive healing and training workshop will:
- Provide groundbreaking techniques Dr. Tick has developed for over two decades
- Draw on methods from ancient Greek, Native American, Vietnamese, & other traditions to restore the soul
- Help veterans find inner peace and truly return home to themselves, their families, and their communities
- Help professionals and community members embrace their essential role in veterans' healing
The workshop is open to Veterans of any war and their families, professionals and any interested community members. Participants will find Dr. Tick's work invaluable for veterans of any war as well as for all who love and would help them.
Fee: $518 per person (includes all meals)
To register, or if you have questions, please call Diane Eisenberg at the Theosophical Society 1-800-669-1571 ext. 320 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Holiday Inn - Holyoke, Mass.
Hotel rate: $82/night: For reservations call 1-413-534-3311
For more info or to give to a Scholarship Fund to help Veterans attend these workshops go to:
Ed Tick's website: www.soldiersheart.net
Local Contact: Patty Hall at The Source of LIGHT
(Note: Soldier's Heart is a project under the nonprofit 501(c)(3) International Humanities Center. Soldier's Heart is a term coined at the time of the Civil War to describe Post-traumatic Stress Disorder and is a grass-roots healing project for at-risk veterans based on the book War and the Soul by psychotherapist Dr. Edward Tick.)